Saturday, September 16, 2006

 

entertainment prevails b4 a fall

Ben Carson made a statement in his book. The sports and entertainment industry got blown out of proportion today. So much so that the minority (and I shall emphasize, small MINORITY) will say they see someone like Isaac Newton as their role model to sucess. Aris-tortoiseAristotle? A great thinker (but that does not necessarily means he think of the right thingz). What is that? Can eat one? How about Hippocrates? The Father of modern Medicine. The last Nobel Prize winner? Beats me (and I mean it, I really dunno).

Let's try another approach. Last world cup champions? Italy. How about the world cup before? Brazil. Last season NBA MVP? Steve Nash, back to back MVP for 2 seasons. NBA champions? Miami Heat, with Dwayne Wade being crowned as the Finals MVP.

I agree with Ben Carson. Sports and entertainment stole the limelight. Carson is not saying (neither am I) that sports and entertainment are not important, its that that they are blown out of proportion. If we look at history, when a country gets focused more and more on the entertainment and starts neglecting knowledge, the fall of the country is almost eminent. Babylon, once a great centre of learning, notable for the Hanging Gardens, fell when its people stop seeking knowledge. Egypt, notable for the pyramids, collasped. Greece another centre for learning took a similar turn in fate, not too long after they started building colosseum in the name of entertainment. The wisest man in the face of the Earth, too, fell when he chose to forsake his knowledge
and forsook The Most High.

According to Carson, K in the acronym "T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G." stands for Knowledge. I guess I will focus more on knowledge seeking from now on. Sports and entertainment are important and good. But I think I have to remember overdose of any tonic becomes toxic. When sports and entertainment occupy ijn the right proportion, they do good. Similarly, too much knowledge can be detrimental. The Bible says Knowledge puffs up, and love builds up. I guess I need to watch out of that also. (:

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?