Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

Mentors

I have several mentors in my life of 25 years so far. Interestingly, I had not met a handful of them face to face. Perhaps I should get the word “mentor” properly defined. With respect to this post, the word “mentor” is used to describe persons who have impacted my life, positively.

David Robinson. A man of God, a MVP in NBA, officer in Navy. Having accomplished much, Robinson is still a humble man. After he retired from NBA, he continues to be actively involved in community work. So much so that any NBA sportsman who makes significant contributions to the community gets the David Robinson award. Because of him, I continue to support San Antonio Spurs.

Mama. A brave woman who takes difficulties as they come. She brought up me and 3 other siblings singlehandedly. She’s a woman with taught me what perseverance mean. Of course she is not perfect. At times, she is naggy. At other times, she feels lost and dunno what to do with us. Nevertheless, she remains to be a woman of amazing personality to me.

Jesus, who else can impact my life more positively from what he does and what he had already done?

Various leaders in my church with special mention of Uncle Keng Seng, Uncle Barry, Uncle Jeremy Ponniah and Benjamin. Despite of holding high positions in the secular world, they are among the most humble persons whom I have encountered.

Dr. David. He showed me shrewdness in handling difficult patients when I was a medic.

Dr. Kevin. He is ever encouraging to me. When people generally discourage me from taking a path less taken, he is the one who encourages me to go where I want to be.

Dr Low. CEO of a certain company. A humble man of God who affirms what he learnt from the word through the actions he does. Integrity is the top of his value when it comes to doing business. To me, that is admirable to a businessman cum doctor like him.

Dr Benjamin Carson. I am currently reading his 3rd book. Being a Black born in US, he is often ostracised. Yet, he succeeded in life by holding onto the values his mother instilled in him – to do his best in whatever he does. T.H.I.N.K. B.I.G. will be the acronym that I hold on to from now on.

Robert Kirosaki. Most have heard of his book “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”. He taught me the way money should be handled with proper risk management.

Dr Michael Lim. A Christian doctor who does his best in leading medical teams to the less privileged countries for humanitarian works.

Pastor Derek. He showed me what the word “perseverance” means by the most practical way through his example. In spite of difficulties faced in some areas of work, he continues to persevere.

The names mentioned here are by no means in order of recognition.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?